LAST UPDATED: June 7, 2018
A NOTE FOR SCHOOL USERS. In accordance with COPPA, schools, school districts, teachers and other educational institutions (each a “school”) may act as a parent’s agent and can consent to the collection, use, and disclosure of your Child’s personal information on your behalf. By engaging Edji to provide the Services, your Child’s school provides such consent. This Policy does not govern any school’s collection, use, or disclosure of your Child’s personal information through the Site or Service, and we are not responsible for any such collection, use, or disclosure. Parents, please contact your child’s school to understand the school’s privacy practices. To access, change or delete information collected by your Child’s school in connection with the Site or Services which cannot be accessed, changed or deleted as described in this Policy, please contact the school directly.
WHAT WE COLLECT
We get information about your Child in a range of ways.
Information Your Child Give Us.
- When your Child posts content (text, images, photographs, audio recording, messages, comments or any other kind of content) on our Site, such as to a Reading, the information contained in the posting, including your Child’s voice and any image included within any Image, will be stored in our servers and other users of the Site, including other users who have joined the Reading where such content is posted, may be able to see it, along with any other information that your Child chooses to make public through the Site.
- When your Child joins a Reading, we may collect your Child’s first and last name and email address.
- If your Child tell us where he or she is (e.g., by allowing the mobile device your Child is using to send us his or her location), we may store and use that information. If you want to deactivate this feature, you can disable location services on the device your Child is using, or deactivate GPS on the mobile device.
- We retain information on your Child’s behalf.
- If your Child provides us feedback or contacts us via e-mail, we will collect your Child’s name and e-mail address, as well as any other content included in the e-mail, in order to send your Child a reply.
- We also collect other types of personal information that your Child provides to us voluntarily.
- We may also collect personal information from your Child at other points in our Site that state that personal information is being collected.
Information We Get From Others. We may get information about your Child from other sources. We may add this to information we get from the Site.
Information Automatically Collected.
Generally. When your Child uses our Services, some information is automatically collected. For example, when your Child uses our Services, your Child’s geographic location, how your Child uses the Services, information about the type of device your Child uses, the Open Device Identification Number (“ODIN”) for such device, date/time stamps for your Child’s visit, the unique device identifier (“UDID”) for such device, and the device’s browser type, operating system, Internet Protocol (IP) address, and domain name are all collected. This information is generally used to help us deliver the most relevant information to your Child and administer and improve the Site.
Log Files. We gather certain information automatically and store it in log files, including IP addresses, browser type, Internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp, and clickstream data. We use this information to improve the content of the Site, market research purposes, communicate information to visitors and better tailor our Services to our users’ needs.
Cookies. We may log information using “Cookies.” Cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive by a website. We may use both session Cookies (which expire once you close your web browser) and persistent Cookies (which stay on your computer until you delete them) to provide you with a more personal and interactive experience on our Site. This type of information is collected to make the Site more useful to your Child and to tailor the experience with us to meet your Child’s special interests and needs.
Inviting Others to Join. Reading Owners may invite others to join a Reading and respond to Topics by sharing the URL or ‘Reading Code’ for the Reading. When your Child joins a Reading, they have the option to provide their Username.
Location Information. If location services are enabled on the mobile device your Child is using, we collect your Child’s location information. If you do not want this information collected by us, you can disable location services on the mobile device.
USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We use your Child’s personal information as follows:
- We use your Child’s personal information to send information including confirmations, invoices, technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages.
- We use your Child’s personal information to provide and deliver products and services.
- We use your Child’s personal information to identify him or her as a user in our system.
- We use your Child’s personal information for providing services on behalf of your Child’s school.
We may store and process your Child’s personal information in the United States and other countries.
We may also create anonymous and/or deidentified data records from your Child’s personal information by excluding information (such as your Child’s name) that makes the data personally identifiable to your Child. We use this anonymous data to enhance the content of our Services and improve the Site. We reserve the right to use anonymous data for any purpose and disclose anonymous data to third parties in our sole discretion.
SHARING OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Information Your Child Shares. Our Site and Services allow your Child to connect and share content and information, including your Child’s Comments. Please ensure your Child is mindful of his or her privacy needs as your Child chooses who to connect with and what to share and make public. We cannot control the privacy or security of information your Child chooses to make public on the Site. If your Child shares information about others, we suggest your Child gets consent for any information your Child may share about them.
Information We Share. We may share personal information that your Child provides or we collect as follows:
- We may share personal information to fulfill the purpose for which your Child provides it, for any other purpose disclosed by us when your Child provides the information, or with consent.
- We may share personal information to third parties designated by your Child.
- We may share personal information with our subsidiaries and affiliates.
- We may share personal information with other users for the purpose of providing the Services.
- We may share personal information with contractors, service providers and other third parties we use to support our business.
- We may share personal information when we do a business deal, or negotiate a business deal, involving the sale or transfer of all or a part of our business or assets. These deals can include any merger, financing, acquisition, or bankruptcy transaction or proceeding.
- We may share personal information for legal, protection, and safety purposes.
- We may share information to comply with laws.
- We may share information to respond to lawful requests and legal processes.
- We may share information in an emergency. This includes protecting the safety of our employees and agents, our customers, or any person.
We may also share aggregated and/or anonymized data with others for their own uses.
Readings. Readings and the information and content submitted to a reading, such as Comments will be displayed in the Reading and will be visible to anyone who joins the Reading. Depending on the Reading’s privacy settings, as set by the Reading Owner, Readings may be further shared to an SNS by Reading users. We may display this content in the Reading, and further distribute it to a wider audience through third party sites and services. Once displayed on publicly viewable web pages, that information can be collected and used by others. We cannot control who views your Child’s Comments or what other users may do with the information that your Child voluntarily post, so it is very important that your Child carefully consider the personal information in your Child’s posts. Once your Child has posted information publicly, while you and/or your Child may be able to remove or have it removed the Services, neither you nor your Child will be able to edit or delete such information cached, collected, and stored elsewhere by others (e.g., search engines).
Social Networking Sites. Users may be able to postReadings or Comments to SNSs (e.g., Facebook or Twitter). If a user chooses to do this, we will provide information to such SNSs in accordance with such user’s elections.
INFORMATION CHOICES AND CHANGES
Removing Comments. You can review and/or have your Child’s Comments deleted by contacting the Reading Owner and/or your Child’s school. In addition, if your Child provided his or her email address when your Child joined a Reading, you may remove your Child’s Reading by sending an email to email@example.com with your Child’s name, email address, and the URL of the Reading that contains the comment to be removed. Removal of a Comments does not ensure complete or comprehensive removal of the content or information posted on this Site.
You can prevent the further collection or use of your Child’s personal information by terminating your Child’s use of the Services.
You may send requests about your Child’s personal information to our Contact Information below such as to change contact choices, opt-out of our sharing of your Child’s personal information with others, and review, update, correct or delete your Child’s personal information. We will use commercially reasonable efforts to honor your request, provided, however, that Comments can only be removed per the procedures outlined above. We may retain an archived copy of your Child’s records as required by law or for legitimate business purposes.
You can typically remove and reject cookies from our Site with your browser settings. Many browsers are set to accept cookies until you change your settings. If you remove or reject our cookies, it could affect how our Site works for you.
THIRD PARTY WEBSITES. Our Site may contain links to third party websites. When your Child clicks on a link to any other website or location, you will leave our Site and go to another site and another entity may collect information from your Child. We have no control over, do not review, and are not responsible for these outside websites or their content. Please be aware that the terms of this Policy do not apply to these outside websites or content, or to any collection of data after your Child clicks on links to such outside websites. We encourage you to read the privacy policies of every website your Child visits. The links to third party websites or locations are for your Child’s convenience and do not signify our endorsement of such third parties or their products, content, or websites.
INFORMATION SECURITY. We are committed to protecting the security and confidentiality of your Child’s personal information. We use a variety of security technologies and procedures, including designating and training individuals responsible for security, to help protect your Child’s personal information, including student information, Student Records, and student-generated content, from loss, misuse and unauthorized access, use, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. Our security procedures and practices are consistent with guidance and regulations applicable to our collection and use of personal information and otherwise meet or exceed industry standards. In the event of an unauthorized release, disclosure, or acquisition of student information, Student Records, or student-generated content, Edji will notify any affected individual and school user as required by applicable law. While we use reasonable efforts to protect your Child’s personal information, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
HOW WE RESPOND TO DO NOT TRACK SIGNALS. We do not currently respond to “do not track” signals or other mechanisms that might enable consumers to opt out of tracking on our Site.
USERS OUTSIDE OF THE UNITED STATES. If you are a non U.S. user of the Services, by using our Services, you acknowledge and agree that your Child’s personal information may be processed for the purposes identified in the Policy. In addition, your Child’s personal information may be processed in the country in which it was collected and in other countries, including the United States, where laws regarding processing of personal information may be less stringent than the laws in your country.
CONTACT INFORMATION. We welcome your comments or questions about this Policy. You may contact us at:
Address: 4006 Nicollet Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55409
CHANGES TO THIS POLICY. We may change this Policy from time to time for any reason. If we make any changes, we will change the Last Updated date above and post the new Policy here: http://guide.edji.it/index.php/child-privacy-policy/. You should consult this Policy regularly for any changes. If we make material changes to our collection, use, or disclosure of Children’s personal information, we will request verifiable parental consent (from you or from your Child’s school on your behalf) in those instances in which we are legally obligated under COPPA to do so.